With increased consumerization and explosion of devices, there is a need for a testing framework like AutoRABIT TAF, which helps enterprises scale up on offering superior quality products and responsive customer service. The key takeaway from TAF is lower Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) with agreed output at each milestone or partnerships, which can go granular to each test case and further to each test page/screen.
SOFTWARE TESTING & GYM: THE SIMILARITY
At AutoRABIT, we have seen time and again that testing and going to the gym are very similar (Salesforce Test Automation Can be Achieved NOW). It always gets postponed to the next day and rarely gets featured as something to be done for today. Testing function lags behind in enterprises today, as quality is not comprehended as a top business priority, with lack of insights on how to gain the critical competitive advantage. Though everyone understands that software testing helps enterprises enhance their product quality, the common misconception is that it demands huge investments in people and technology.
When most of the discussions start, the management teams evaluate their present/legacy testing business models and first try to maximize their current investments. This plug in the hole can be a more convenient and an easy way out, but the question is whether you are trying to save a sinking boat or trying to accelerate the boat with unconventional and progressive ideas.
TESTING APPROACHES: TESTING-AS-A-SERVICE (TaaS)
There are several flexible and economical testing approaches that can stop the escalation of costs, deliver quality products and keep your profits (and your boat) not just afloat, but ensure that it gets more power to tide over the quality storms.
Testing-as-a-Service (TaaS) has gained momentum in the recent years, as it helps enterprises focus on core business areas, reap the benefits of pay-per-use, reduce infrastructure costs, and optimize the resources workflow.
Testing teams can look at several ways in which they can achieve accelerated efficiencies, i.e., non-linear returns on investments with good planning. Planning and creating a roadmap for the team can go a long way in accomplishing your strategic goals.
Related Post : Salesforce Test Automation Can be Achieved now
TYPICAL TaaS ADOPTION USE CASE:
Organizations can opt for TaaS when there are tasks to be automated. Through outsourcing, enterprises can save not only on resource hires, but also on the costs of testing infrastructure.
Several services are offered through TaaS that include functional and non-functional testing, mobility testing, and testing of various CRM, ERP and cloud applications.
TWO KEY BENEFITS OF TaaS:
1. Saves Capex/Opex:
TaaS makes provisions for people and technology, as a part of its offering, enabling enterprises save costs/investments on infrastructure and software licensing.
2. Flexible Pricing:
Pay-per-use models help enterprises plan their test budgets based on the project requirements/demands.
TaaS COST ENGAGEMENT MODELS:
- Time & Material: Costs are calculated based on the time spent by the resources on a project.
- Fixed Bid or Fixed Price: The project is engaged at a fixed price against agreed deliverables.
- Test Cases: Projects are also engaged based on the complexity of test cases in number.
Things to take care of:
- Have your goals listed: Have a clear-cut idea of your goals – whether you want to have software testing for enhancing your product quality, maximizing your current investments, or gaining a critical competitive business advantage.
- Evaluate your current process: The first step towards change is evaluating your current process with regard to cost, efficiency and optimization, and identifying what needs to be changed.
- Prepare for change management: Once you have made the decision in line with your goals, go ahead and boldly embrace the change. After all, change is growth, growth is change.
- Crawl first, then walk and run: Testing, like change, is a gradual process. Once you have decided to go for software testing, make the move gradually from non-functional to functional testing, and later to mobility testing and cloud
- First get the most appropriate process and then the right tools: It is important to first understand the relevant testing process and then get hold of the right tools to execute the same.
TAF BLENDS SUPERIOR QUALITY WITH RESPONSIVE CUSTOMER SERVICE
The best of Salesforce development teams would inevitably vouch for the fact that test automation is indispensable to ensuring stability to enterprise applications in an organization. However, there is a significant gap between appreciation and adoption.
While most teams understand and appreciate test automation as the way ahead, the practice of adoption of test automation into the release management process is far from reality.
In a short survey conducted by AutoRABIT with some of its current clients, the following three distinct reasons emerged for non-adoption of test automation:
1. Test automation requires specialized test resources, which is inhibited due to budgetary constraints.
2. The test scripts, like codes, have to be frequently upgraded and maintained, without the ability to save any extra cents.
3. The data is pushed into the test script, and if you want to run the test case on a different release environment or on your staging data, you have to keep varying some property files, scripts, etc.
If you agree with the above top-three constraints in adopting test automation, then the AutoRABIT Test Automation Factory (TAF) for Salesforce is probably the solution that you should be looking out for.
AutoRABIT TAF for Salesforce has the following components that can leverage the test automation to the next level in an enterprise:
- Curing engine for seamless test script recording and playback. Business users themselves can automate tests by themselves now.
- Data Extraction – Alienate data from your test script
- Test Generation
Testing has evolved from being a full-time equivalent (FTE) driven method of working, to ‘as-a-service’ method of thinking. TaaS, which was traditionally considered as an activity, has evolved today as a framework and a unique way of approaching testing & quality assessment, independent of vendors and tools. The maturity and perceptibility of the
team and the goals articulated by the management will determine the success of these models. TaaS can benefit organizations in ensuring predictable outcomes across the lifespan of the development cycle.
There is always one thing in common with Test Automation and going to the gym … they always get postponed!!
Salesforce Test Automation has always been on the wish list of most enterprises with Salesforce.com applications who are looking for maturity and predictability within their application’s change management and delivery process. It is also known fact the Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery journey is not sustainable if there is no regression test bed set up for the applications .
However, the reality is – Test Automation charter always gets pushed to the ‘next’ release …
Related Post : Automating Your Test Automation (Testing-as-a-Service)
What is the Problem?
As part of the Continuous Delivery audit process we conduct with our Salesforce clients, the audit results of test automation has produced the following top-3 hurdles for Test Automation.
- Test Automation needs specialized knowledge and teams
- Over a period of time, the complexity of the test scripts grows and maintainability is an issue
- Test data setup for Test Automation is difficult [especially, if third-party apps are involved due to their complex relationship mappings]
What is Our Approach?
While working with the Salesforce ecosystem, like development teams, partners and architects, we constantly try to add innovation by addressing these hurdles.
The result of understanding the hurdles is the development of our ‘Selenium Curing Engine’ for the Salesforce Platform. This is the core foundation of our Test Automation Factory that accelerates the testing process and provides real-time automation for testing salesforce applications.
How Does AutoRABIT Address the hurdles?
With AutoRABIT’s Curing Engine, Salesforce Test Automation can be accomplished easily as below :
- Record your test scenario with the click of a button
[With your standard selenium IDE]
- Upload the file into AutoRABIT
- Enjoy seamless play-back of your recorded tests across your release environments.
Test Automation is really that simple and seamless with AutoRABIT.
What About Setting Up Test Data?
AutoRABIT’s Advanced Data Loader Pro pulls data from an object, including dependencies along with muli-level parent and child relationships, after which you can migrate this data into destination sandbox in with just the click of a button.
For instance, using AutoRABIT Data Loader Pro, you can pull all contacts and accounts related to an opportunity from Staging and migrate them into QA and UAT seamlessly.
The test data step can be included in the Continuous Integration process. This provides users with the power to package and deploy metadata, migration of test data and then execute automated tests seamlessly as a single process with just the click of a button.
With AutoRABIT, Test Automation Can be Achieved NOW .
Try it, experience it, and believe it
The best of matured Salesforce development teams having processes in place would invariably appreciate the fact that Test Automation is invaluable to bringing stability to enterprise applications in an Organization .
But , the fact remains that there is wide degree of gap between appreciation vs adoption .
While most teams appreciate test automation as the way to go , the adoption of test automation as a practice into the release management process is not as expected in reality.
In one of our short survey with some of our existing clients – as to what is stopping them from creating regression test bed for their applications , automate the testing of applications in multiple release environments .
Three distinct reasons – which are kind of unanswered for years still exist.
1. Test Automation requires specialized test resources and we cannot get additional budgets for it .
2. The Test Scripts are like code and needs constant upgrade , maintenance and it would not save any extra cents .
3. The data is pushed into the test script and if we want to run the test case on a different release environment or want to run the test case on our staging data – we have to keep changing some property files , sometimes scripts etc.,
If you agree that these are the top-3 constraints in adopting test automation , the AutoRABIT Test Automation Factory [ TAF ] for Salesforce is probably the solution that you are looking for.
AutoRABIT Test Automation Factory for Salesforce has the following components that can take the test automation to a next level in an enterprise.
1. Curing engine for seamless test script recording and Playback . Business users themselves can automate tests now !!
A faster way to create automated tests for the application is to be able to record the test case and play it back on multiple environments. However, a test case recorded with Selenium for Salesforce does not play back seamlessly due to certain limitations with look-up fields, Picklists in Orgs, dynamic IDs [more visible in Service Cloud].
The curing engine component of the Test Automation Factory in AutoRABIT runs through the test case recorded with a Selenium recorder, fixes the potential play-back issues, and transforms the test cases to support the play-back mode.
2. Data Extraction – Separate data from your test script
The Data extraction component separates the data from the test case logic, thus making them reusable test cases.
You can add more data sets as rows to the existing data like changing the release environment to run the same test case on a different release environment or running with different Pick list values or with data set extracted from a Data Loader.
3. Test Generation
Once data is separated from the test case , the test case becomes more a template that can hold varying data sets . This enables to generate multiple test cases for different sets or environments dynamically on the fly.
If you are interested to see the demonstration of how the pain points are addressed with AutoRABIT Test Automation for salesforce , please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have more suggestion on how to further increase adoption for test automation , please feel free to comment this blog or write to email@example.com .