Force.com as a development platform has been appreciated well for its ease of use in developing applications faster but not much for its finesse in version control system support , Sandbox management , automation of the release management activities like packaging , deployments , dataloading tasks etc.,
But , AutoRABIT for Force.com applications makes the continuous delivery of Salesforce applications a reality .
AutoRABIT comes with two designs for the automation of packaging, deployment, test execution of Force.com applications.
With AutoRABIT on-premise version at hand all you need is either an AWS-EC2 account or a standalone Windows or Unix Server for deployments and test execution , a GIT Hub or SVN server for version control support to achieve an end-to-end continuous delivery solution for all your Salesforce applications .
With AutoRABIT Sandbox management API for AWS – it is seamless deployment and automation enabled into your cloud infrastructure.
With most of the data loading operations being scheduled and automated – you save those lots of hours of manual effort spent in data loading operations.
AutoRABIT also comes as a hosted solution for development teams to get their release management on cloud with built in support SVN, GIT for version control set up, Redmine instance for a hosted issue management , AutoRABIT hosted to deliver the continous integration solution on Salesforce packaging , deployment and test automation .
Continuous Delivery of Force.com applications with AutoRABIT
The following is the process flow of effective continuous delivery model for applications built on Force.com development platform with the powerful AutoRABIT which is the Cloud edition of RABIT [ Rapid Automated Build Install and Test ] framework .
1. Developers work on Force.com IDE or web interface and checks-in into the Version control system like GIT . The check-in into version control system is optional .
2. RABITForce can fetch the latest changes from the version control system [ SVN , GIT etc., ] or directly from the sandbox/ SF Org on-demand or based on a schedule and package the metadata.
3. A timeline label is created for the sandbox / SF Org for the metadata package that has been generated with a RABIT cycle# associated with it so that we can recreate the Sandbox or Org from any point of time if required in future .
4. The labeled metadata artifact is published into a central artifact repository and can be archived into a standard storage for any milestone builds for future reference .
5. After the packaging is successful , the artifact is deployed in a series of Sandbox(s) / SF Orgs and unit tests like Apex tests as well as functional automation tests like Selenium test suites are run and the result is updated on the dashboard.
6. RABIT has a strong ALM integration module that maps the test results to the issue management system like Jira , Redmine , Serena etc., , the test case management systems like Quality Center with which the test results can be traced to requirement and code level for emphatic root cause analysis .
7. Successful metadata artifacts can be pushed into various deployment stages like QA , UAT , SIT , Staging and production with 1-click promotion feature.
8. RABITForce also has a powerful selective deployment feature where selected changes from metadata can be fetched and deployed into destination sandbox / Org
9. The advanced web based RABITForce dataloader can deploy a chosen set of objects along with its parents and children into a destination on a schedule or on-demand. Before the data loading the source and destination are checked for metadata consistency check. Triggers and validation rules can be retained during the data loading operation.